WordPress.com and WordPress.org are two different versions of WordPress. Both are similar in usage but with a slight difference.
Though this difference is simple but if you are a novice user and newbie to WordPress then it must be irritating. Because it is very basic question asked by most of the newbies . So starting as a beginner or newbie to WordPress, you must be confused between the WordPress.com and WordPress.org.
Don’t worry, read this article carefully and compare both versions of the WordPress. It will help you out to select one of it suiting your requirements. Before starting your blog, you must be aware of the “difference between the WordPress.com and “WordPress.org”.
I gathered a list of most frequently asked questions (FAQs) from the forums, communities and verbal discussions:
What is the main difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org?
WordPress.com v/s WordPress.org (What’s the Difference?)
Comparison between WordPress.com and WordPress.org?
Which one is best? (WordPress.com or WordPress.org)
We will try to answer all these questions in a very simple way. This article makes it simple for you to distinguish between both versions of WordPress and make you decide which one to select.
This article is very simple and different from other resources as it is categorized with pros and cons of both and focuses on the detailed key points.
What is WordPress?
WordPress is an open source software package which enables you to create fully functional websites just in few minutes.
Furthermore, in detail we can say, it is a CMS (content management system) that can be used to create websites and web applications by managing their contents i.e divs, images, sliders, menu bars, sidebars, footer, header, carousels etc on a simple web browser.
What is CMS (content management system)?
The content management system (CMS) is a system that is used to manage, create, update, delete, modify the contents of web applications or websites easily without having much knowledge about HyperText Markup Language (HTML).
Now if the concepts of “what actually WordPress is” are clear, then you can move towards the difference between WordPress.org vs. WordPress.com
Main difference between WordPress.org and WordPress.com:
First of all you must keep in mind that WordPress is a software package used to create websites. It has two versions on the basis of hosting:
NOTE: Hosting means “storing and maintaining files or data on the server. More precisely, the website files which are hosted (uploaded) to the server”
The WordPress.org is the self hosted version of WordPress that can be downloaded from https://wordpress.org/. Then you have to host it on your own web server or at your purchased web hosting server. To learn it, you can download it and use it with your own local server Xampp, or Wampp.
- WordPress Software is available freely.
- Number of Free Themes available and you can even purchase Premium Themes.
- Number of Free Plugins are available as well as the Premium Plugins to be purchased at certain cost.
- Information Repository or WordPress Documentation is available, with approx. every “how to” solutions helping the designers and developers to give physical shape to their ideas and designs.
- WordPress Forum/Community is there to help you guys. Ask questions and queries and get answers by different experts.
- Can modify the Core PHP.
- No cost for ads removal.
- Facility to add the jQuery codes.
- WP Codex provides you the facility with One Click Installation Script of WordPress. Mostly every hosting provider has this facility.
- You have to Buy Domain and Buy Hosting from some web hosting provider.
- Security is your headache.
If you want to buy and domain as well, then go with Bluehost, because it is officially recommended by WordPress. Another reason to go bluehost is, you have to pay only for hosting and they will give you a free domain name along with hosting.
WordPress.com is the free version of WordPress which is used to create websites on the go. It means you have to only register yourself at https://wordpress.com. If you are ready to negotiate with the domain name such as nbjokhio.wordpress.com. Furthermore, you can upgrade your wordpress.com account to get your own domain name but still there will be some restictions described as below.
- Provision of Quick Installation of WordPress software at a glance.
- Provides you 146 Free Themes.
- 99 Premium Themes.
- List of Plugins are available that are very handy and not found anywhere.
- Provides you the Free Hosting.
- High Spam Protection, Services, Automatic Backups, Automatic Updates etc
- Plugins can’t be uploaded.
- Custom Themes can’ be uploaded.
- Modification of themes is limited.
- 30$/Year cost to remove Ads.
- Domain as “mydomain.wordpress.com”.
- Have to buy Domain.
- Ads featuring WordPress.com and its themes can’t be removed.
- Pay 30$/Year for “Custom Design” package, which even doesn’t give you the control over PHP and FTP, only provides basic manipulations including CSS and Font changes.
If you want to you create a free blog with WordPress.com then here is the step by step tutorials for it: FREE CREATING BLOG WITH WORDPRESS.COM (WITH PICTURES) [HOW TO]
Difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org – Video:
We would recommend you guys to go on for wordpress.org which is freely available and easy to use as we will be providing you a good stuff to go forward.